Why November is an important month
27 Nov 2019
WHY NOVEMBER IS AN IMPORTANT MONTH
W E D N E S D A Y 2 7 N O V E M B E R 2 0 1 9 | 13:00
November is an important month for us at BDP as it raises awareness of Mouth Cancer, the 11th most common cancer. Mouth Cancer also known as Oral Cancer, last year claimed more lives than cervical and testicular cancer combined and recent research has shown it is becoming more common in younger people.
Who does it affect?
It can affect everyone one of us, but you are more at risk if the following apply to you:
- You are over the age of 40
- Men are more likely to suffer from it
- Smoke or chew tobacco (increases the chance of mouth cancer by 10 times)
- Consume more than the recommended weekly alcohol (linked to 30% of all mouth cancers)
- Over exposure to sunlight increase the chance of lip cancer 2
- HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) which is spread via oral sex
What are the symptoms?
Mouth cancer can arise from the lips, cheeks, gums, tongue, tonsils, head and neck region. Every dentist looks for signs of cancer in every check-up and early detection of cancer increase the chances of a complete cure. Many people with oral cancer come to the dentist or doctor when the cancer is at an advanced stage.
What can you do?
Our brief advice to reduce your chance of getting oral cancer:
- Stop smoking
- Keep within recommended guidelines for alcohol consumption
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet
- Get the HPV vaccine for boys and girls
- Look out for ulcers that last for three weeks, any unusual red or white patches, lumps in your neck or jaw area, or persistent hoarseness
Your health and wellbeing are important to every member of the team here so during this month, we welcome you, your family and friends to a free cancer checks at Bredbury Dental Practice: